RSS

Blog posts of '2013' 'April'

Axle Refurbishment

The axles from the donor vehicle were sold with it but the axle corners were chanded to standard. We now need to refurbish the old axle corners.  This is the state they started out as.

Old Axle

Above - corner removed from the axle.

Below - before the parts were sandblasted and painted

Axle parts before sandblasting

Below - after the corners were sandblasted and painted

Axle after sandblasting/paint

Refurbished axle assembled back together

Re-assembled Axle pic 1Re-assembled Axle pic 2

Below - the radius arm has been powder-coated Radius arm powder-coated

Axle casings

above the axle back from blasting, ready for the panhard rod brackets to be welded on, see below

Axle bracket

Axle with bracket

Still needing a few things cut off, such as the A frame bracket

A frame bracket

A frame bracket 2

Below - Axles back from powder-coaters

Powder-coated axles

The heavy duty diff pan should provide enough protection to the four pin diff

Heavy duty diff pan

Below - Wonder how long it will stay looking this clean?Refurb - Axle

back axle powder-coated with heavy duty diff pan

First fit of the axles under the Tomcat

Axles - first fit

Both axles fitted

Both axles

 

 

New Unit

May 2012

We have now moved to a brand new, shiny, clean unit with workshop.  It has a bigger workshop area, with no leaks, draughts or creaky doors.  We are building a corridor, converting the space into a trade counter to enable customers to collect if they wish.  There's also a shiny new office, so Michelle is more than happy.

All work on the cars had to grind to a hault for about 3 weeks beforehand whilst we packed everything. We moved the cars,  springs were removed and it was dropped onto its bump stops (this was done before the engine went in to check that it didnt foule with anything).  The engine was tacked into place and it was "mobile".  This helped when we were putting it in the lorry. We're all "moved in" now and work can re-commence on the Tomcat.

Bram Racing New Unit

Building a new Tomcat

April 2012

Here we start our new FIA-spec 100" Tomcat build.

Featuring a 3.5 V8 and uprated components designed for the toughest races, rather than a nod towards road usage.

Many of the lessons learnt from the building of a road-ready Tomcat have lead to a speedy initial build of this machine.

The main difference between the builds is that this will be completly dry built, run around the yard, then stripped for powder coating and full refurbishment / replacement of every component.

Removing the 3.5 Rover V8 out of the old car, came out with no proplem just needs jetwashing now!

fia tomcat land rover v8

The chassis is a new Discovery 1 chassis, seen here temporary mounted to its axles.

The engine / gearbox / transfer box combo went in first time with only a little adjustment, and is mounted on custom engine mounts which use SuperPro bushes for strength and resilliance (these are the only bushes we would use or recommend - see our SuperPro page to find out why)

fia tomcat land rover v8

The axles will be all Ashcroft hardened shafts, pegged diffs and held in place with Superpro bushes.

Damping will be with Fox 2.5" remote resevoir shafts all round.

The gearbox is currently a LT77 mounted to a modified ratio transfer box, lightened , locked and low ratio removed for weight reduction.

Next step, whilst the axles are resting on the chassis, is to work out the exhaust system and the cooling system to the rear mounted Discovery 2 radiator, so that they do not catch when the axles start flying about.